In line with this aim, the main objectives of the project are to strengthening and building capacity of selected academic institutions located in cities in Latin America and Europe for:
- improving the quality of higher education in the field of SSC, enhancing its relevance for the labor market and society at large;
- increasing the competencies in developing countries in Latin America to address the challenges of the digital world;
- continued development of competencies in SSC through training and education programmes;
- multidisciplinary problem-oriented education and teaching on SSC;
- developing a network for cooperation among the partners from different regions of the world;
- collaboration with associate partners, city administration, businesses and other SSC stakeholders; and
- knowledge, experience and good practices sharing and joint initiatives on SSC between academic partners located in different cities and countries and across Europe and Latin America, all supported by their local SSC ecosystem.
Concerning the main problem addressed under the previous section (Part E) – the gap between the capacities needed for SSC and the competencies that has been taught in the HEI level – the project will build new education programmes to address specific competencies required for governance of SSC in Latin America, providing new skills for graduates and access to international market.
Education, training, research and analysis are all core businesses of the academic institutions. However, such institutions may be lacking specific knowhow on how to apply their core business to the domain of SSC. They may be lacking the tradition of multi-disciplinarity, i.e. experts in informatics, management, economics, urbanization and other disciplines working together on the problems of SSC. They may be also lacking the capacity for sustained collaboration in education, training, research and analysis with city administrations, businesses, civil society and other actors in the SSC ecosystem. Such collaboration requires building inter-organizational capacity for SSC. The project will therefore build such capacities as part of its objectives.